[Events] how to approach disengaged attendees

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 16:51:53 UTC 2014

This varies a lot by individual, but generally our issue is that mentors
will not actively engage students - instead, they'll wait for a student to
raise a hand or otherwise ask for help.  This sometimes leads to students
working entirely on their own, then getting up and leaving.  My assumption
is that they're leaving because they're frustrated with the task, yet
feeling shy about asking for help, but of course I don't know that.  My own
experience is that as often as not students are happy to talk about
whatever problems they're having - they just didn't think it was worth
flagging somebody down to help them.  I would like to see this happen less.

We're changing the structure of our events so there's less opportunity for
this dynamic to emerge, but it would still be good to give mentors advice
on how to approach and engage.