[Events] how to approach disengaged attendees

Julien Dorra juliendorra at juliendorra.com
Fri Jan 24 15:26:59 UTC 2014

> I'm writing up a guide for mentors at our events, and I want to include a
> section on how to approach students that look
> confused/frustrated/disengaged.  Surely these strategies have been written
> about before!  Does anyone have suggestions of what to read and adapt for
> our guide?

Are you looking for behaviors that make them comfortable when talking to
them? Or ways to re-engage them as a whole? In term of strategies, it's
both related to mentor behavior/language/inclusiveness and event-design
(some event-design lead to disengagement or frustration more surely than
others. Respectively lectures and follow-along-lessons come to mind as
counter examples.).

Could you give a specific example that you saw and that wouldn't want to
see again?

(confused/frustrated/disengaged participants is an issue that I fixed many
times over the years in my classes and workshop, but context vary a lot, so
some specifics might help me narrow down your issues.)

Julien