[Events] This week's Python user group outreach report, "1/15 edition"

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Jan 17 05:41:28 UTC 2014

This past week, I:

* Took some time to read through past conversations and stay organized.

* Looked at the list of speakers at PyCon -- with help from a person on the
OpenHatch Events list,

* Finally scheduled some time with PyLadies Dominicana. (I think they're a good
target for a newcomers-to-programming workshop.)

* Reached out to Boston-area Django women programmers who might be interested
in speaking at a specific Django SF meetup that wants more speakers.

* Got canceled-on by Django SF person, who was too busy to meet. That's a drag,
because I think Django SF will be good for a newcomers-to-programming, perhaps
women-and-their-friends-oriented Django workshop. I already have one other
volunteer lined up.

Obstacles:

* The Meetup.com 3-max-emails-to-organizers-per-day thing has been tough. A day
ago, I realized that I could pre-write the messages I send groups, which
dramatically simplify the process of reaching out to them reliably daily. This
should improve my throughput.

* Last week, I was a little overwhelmed by people to get in touch with, and
focused more on replying and less on staying organized. This week, I cleaned
that up.

This coming week:

* Follow up with conversations started in the past weeks to get people closer
to yes, on project nights, newcomer-oriented intro programming workshops, and
finding more women speakers.

* I expect to make a spreadsheet of names, general location, and email address
for these women PyCon speakers since I haven't heard back from anyone else
offering information like that. Then I'll see if there's a Python user group
near them that they might be interested in speaking at.