[Events] Publicity plan for "In-Person Event Handbook"

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Jan 12 06:27:19 UTC 2014

Hey all,

Shauna & others put together an amazing document here:
http://opensource-events.com/

To explain what it is, here is how it starts: "It seems like every day
there’s another workshop, hackathon or sprint, where open source projects
are invited to work with new contributors. At OpenHatch, we’ve run plenty
of these events ourselves! We’ve found that to get the most out of an
event, it’s important to plan ahead."

The handbook is a guide to what you need to run a newcomer-oriented sprint
that is well-organized and therefore more effective.

For the handbook to be make an impact on the free software world, we need
to make sure people actually use it. Therefore, I believe we should set
some goals around *publicity* and *use* for the guide, so that we know we
actually have that impact.

To get the ball rolling, I propose the following. During 2014:

* We make sure organizers of at least 8 significant events (other than
Open Source Comes to Campus) that could benefit from the Handbook hear
about its existence.

* We make sure at least 3 significant events (other than Open Source Comes
to Campus) recommend the Handbook as a good way for participating projects
to prepare for the event.

* We document the above 3 events that recommended the Handbook within the
Handbook itself, by the end of 2014.

I'll define "significant" as "having 40 or more attendees", just to have
an arbitrary and vaguely satisfactory way to measure that. It's OK by me
if an event *series* has 40 or more attendees, if the organizers of the
event series recommend it.

Shauna, I'm also curious what you think with setting these as goals. Once
we have them as goals, I would be super happy to see this meta-outreach
effort done by you, you + me, or any combination of people, so long as we
do it. (-: I think that getting in the faces of organizers of events that
might benefit from the Handbook is an essential part to succeeding at
making the Free world better at outreach.

I'm happy to help brainstorm what might be relevant events and organizers
to reach out to, but wanted to make sure we're all generally on-board.