[Events] Increasing Age Diversity in Open Source: Portland-based Workshop

Jen D davidson.jennif at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 00:44:32 UTC 2014

Hey everyone,

I'm a PhD Candidate in Computer Science/HCI at Oregon State University, and
I've been collaborating with your friendly neighborhood Asheesh and Shauna
on creating a workshop for people 50 years and older to contribute to open
source.

Why, you ask? Did you know that only about 5% of open source software
contributors are 50 years or older? I personally think all types of
diversity are important in open source, and that includes age diversity.
The workshop we're putting together will be for folks who have software
technical experience but for some reason or another, have never contributed
to open source before.

The workshop is coming up quickly on Saturday April 26th, and will be held
at Mozilla in downtown Portland (Thanks Mozilla for hosting and providing
catering!). It'll be followed by 2 weeks of individual work from
participants, then a follow-up meeting on May 10th for participants to
reconnect.

I'm really excited about the workshop and can't wait to share my results
with you all! And thanks again to OpenHatch for being so supportive of
these efforts.

Jennifer Davidson
Human-Computer Interaction PhD Candidate, Oregon State University
Program Manager @ChickTechOrg
Community Manager @Privly