[Events] Strategies for getting information from venue hosts

Carina C. Zona cczona at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 22:11:01 UTC 2013

My experience has been that it's easiest to get response when phrasing
as short yes/no questions, or else as basically fill-in-the-blank.

e.g. "Does the PA system you're providing have an [type] outlet?" or
"For the PA system you're providing, does it have output [kind]?"

And yeah, hard as it is, get comfortable with bugging them as the day
gets closer. Usually a host thanks me for putting it back on their
radar. Their normal work priorities tend to shove this stuff to the
bottom of the todo list. So they're glad that you're organized enough
to be putting it on their radar again when needed.

I'm not saying everyone has that response. But I've never (so far?)
gotten a bad reaction. Usually venues are hosting out of warm spirit
and generosity, so want our help in knowing how to make the day smooth
and welcoming.