[Events] Software Carpentry events - status & TODOs

satyaakam goswami satyaakam at gmail.com
Fri May 31 02:21:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah at wikimedia.org
> wrote:

> http://software-carpentry.org/blog/2013/05/where-we-are.html
>
> http://software-carpentry.org/blog/2013/05/planning-for-the-break.html
>
> People who run OH events may like to read this. One bit that intrigued
> me: "Learners come to us with a very wide range of prior knowledge and
> abilities, and as a result, we figure that 20% are bored and 20% are
> lost at any time. We'd like to start offering separate boot camps for
> complete novices and can-already-kind-of-program people, but we can't
> rely on them to self-assess their ability (they don't know what they
> don't know), and if we give them any kind of proficiency test, it scares
> away the ones with weaker skills who need us most."

had a glance at the curriculum its too much packed and i can imagine it
must be moving at the speed of jet :-) , i do not subscribe to this
approach , i have found the buddy system works the best in these kind of
groups. I explicitly say either the whole classes passes or they all fail .
Not that they get credits etc... but in the spirit of learning . Humans are
good at aping i do not mind even if they do that for starters the meaning
why we are doing it slowly  creeps in over a period of time.

of course time is one constraint we all have to deal with it , but this is
where mailing lists and irc comes to rescue . i think spreading it out over
a period of time and being in constant touch helps.

there is one more concept i follow i took it from Plant Nurseries  , when
the plant grows to a certain size it is moved from one bed to another.

so i can relate a bit to what they are suggesting as moving the experienced
or just experienced together but do we have a some tech to keep them like
that in the virtual world too. i think this is where tech can help .

-Satya
fossevents.in