[Events] Making "projects time" hopefully more engaging, within open source comes to campus (Events Digest, Vol 24, Issue 2)

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Sun Mar 24 23:32:07 UTC 2013

On 03/07/2013 01:42 PM, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> There's another thing I'm adding, which is the ability for students to
> work on non-code tasks. These usually have the advantage of being
> lower-risk, yet they are extremely useful; they are actually essential!
>
> I wrote up one such task here: https://openhatch.org/wiki/Answer_questions
> -- and would very very much appreciate more suggestions for future tasks
> to add along that vein.
>
> Currently mulling over the following, to get the creative juices flowing:
>
> * Translate text
>
> * Make a screencast (of how to do the basic usage tasks with an app)
>
> * Reproduce a bug, and leave a note on the bug saying you could do that

More ideas:

* Write an acceptance test/scenario -
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/Browser_testing/Running_and_writing_tests#Acceptance_Test_Driven_Development
-- usability testing and adding to
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/QA/Browser_testing/Test_backlog and
writing acceptance test criteria are ways new contributors can make a
difference without a gatekeeper slowing them down.

* Ask questions and write them down, for use by future FAQ-makers

Hope this helps!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager