[Events] Notes on History & Ethics of Free Software resource

Deb Nicholson deb at eximiousproductions.com
Thu Jun 6 15:25:13 UTC 2013

Thanks for all search suggestions, Cat!

One way to get a conversation about free software and licenses going could
be to talk about historical methods of sharing information and what modern
constructs they are similar too. For example, fairytales might cc zero,
painters and musicians have often including nods to each other that
resrmble cc by and early legal systems (when most people couldn't read) are
closer to a binary blob situation.
That's my coffee fueled contribution!
Cheers,
Deb

On Thursday, June 6, 2013, Cat Allman <allman at google.com> wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 01:50:13 -0400
>> From: Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
>> To: events at lists.openhatch.org
>> Subject: Re: [Events] Notes on History & Ethics of Free Software
>>         resource
>>
>> > I do try to illuminate the history pre-RMS briefly by saying that when
he
>> > asked
>> > around to find the person who wrote the driver, it was easy because
back
>> > then,
>> > there weren't that many people who wrote software, so you probably were
>> > friends-
>> > of-friends with them. I will see if I can put in a few more sentences
>> > before.
>> >

>> Is there really no canonical or even totally untrustworthy source that
>> talks about the pre-RMS history of software?  Because I think we can do
>> better than a few sentences, but I don't really know where to begin.
 Well,
>> I guess we begin by identifying primary sources.  If you're less
interested
>> in this, I can put it on my to-do.
>>

> Search for recording of talks:
> - on the history of Unix by Peter Salus
> - on the development of BSD, in particular the AT&T lawsuit, by Marshall
Kirk McKusick.  Also interviews on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_L._Graham