[Events] Do you have a project you need help with? Apply to bring it to Grace Hopper Open Source Day

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Jun 5 03:33:19 UTC 2013

Quoting Lukas Blakk (2013-04-26 13:49:44)
> Hello lovely people,
>
> I am reaching out to you to see if you have any open source projects needing
> contributors that you could bring to the Minneapolis, MN area on October 5th
> 2013 for Open Source Day at Grace Hopper. It's a day designed to bring women
>  together to become more involved in the open source community.  If you don't
> have a project, please spread the word to your networks. We are looking to
> recruit a diverse collection of open source projects. You can help us by
> inviting those organizations you feel would be a good fit to complete the
> application.
>
> We typically have 200 motivated participants from industry and academia join us
> for the day.  For many of these talented women, this is an introduction to the
>  hackathon and open source experience.  Please take a look at last years Open
> Source Day, held in Baltimore, Maryland. http://gracehopper.org/2012/conference
> /grace-hopper-open-source-day/.
>
> For this event, we have a list of organizations who will bring an open source
> project with tasks to be done that day. The following link will direct you to
>  examples of projects from 2012: http://systers.org/systers-dev/doku.php/
> ghc12osdssf
>
> Benefits for  organizations are:
>  - visibility to your project to women engineers
>  - project tasks completed during that day
>  - new contributors to your project.
>
> Organizations with open source projects may now apply to participate in this
> year's Open Source Day at Grace Hopper (October 5th, 2013, 10am - 5pm,
> Minneapolis):
>
> APPLY HERE: http://bit.ly/osd2013-org-application (has an FAQ link on it for
> more info)

Hi Lukas! This is mega awesome.

I've never been to the Open Source Day at Grace Hopper, but here is a question:
do you think that someone like Shauna who has experience organizing Open Source
Comes to Campus events would be helpful to have in attendance?

I also imagine some of the guidelines we're working on for OpenHatch-affiliated
projects might be useful, such as:

* Knowing how long the projects take to build

* Knowing if the projects are a good match for Windows/Mac/Linux etc. OSs

etc.

We've been drafting those at
https://openhatch.org/wiki/OpenHatch_affiliated_projects ... or, at least,
looking there, I don't think we've written the criteria out there, but we plan
to!!

Anyway, beyond projects, do you plan to have any teaching material for students
who want to learn more? I'd love to help to the extent possible and useful with
creating and/or organizing those resources. Part of that could include something
of an instructor guide; slowly but surely we're polishing up the Open Source
Comes to Campus resources <https://openhatch.org/wiki/OSCTC_Resources>, so maybe
that can be of some use.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to tie together what we've learned with
what you're doing, and to also figure out travel scheduling for myself or
Shauna.

I'm super excited that GHC has the open source day over the years; what an
opportunity to bring awareness into the next generation of students, and also
really happy you're involved in organizing this year's!

- Asheesh.