[Events] economic diversity

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 12:26:03 UTC 2013

At and after the Columbus Python Workshop, some of the students and I
talked about how we could use workshops for not just gender diversity, but
economic diversity.  They had great suggestions for organizations and
agencies I could partner with - job agencies, women's shelters, and so
forth.  Lots of possibilities there.

But lots of questions, too, that I'd really appreciate your thoughts on.

- Is this really a practical skill for people in tough economic straits?
 Obviously programming is a great career; just as obviously, nobody's ready
to start at Google the Monday after a weekend workshop.  The workshop is
obviously not just about careers - it's also about having fun, building
self-confidence, understanding our computerized world better, etc. - but I
don't know if those noneconomic motives will ring hollow.
    - And if it is practical, how can I *sell* its practicality to get
agencies onboard and students in the door?

- Programming on *what*?  Laptops are cheap these days but many of these
students probably still don't have them.  Some agencies have computer labs
- I'm told the YWCA Columbus has one, for example - though that merits
careful checking, because sometimes machines are so locked-down as to be
useless.  (The Columbus Public Library machines, for example, run only IE,
Word, and Excel; and the library IT director *does not have the ability* to
loosen them up.  Grrrr.)
    - But even if computers can be found for the workshop itself, if the
students don't have regular access to computers that are more or less their
own, will they be able to follow up on the workshops afterward?  It seems
almost cruel to show people this kind of fun if they can't follow up.
    - Is there any practical over-the-web programming solution?  One where
students could actually do things like keep their files, install packages,
etc.?  Then a student could conceivably pursue her own programming over a
web browser in a library.

Thanks for any ideas...
--
- Catherine