[Events] Train-the-trainers at Open Source Bridge?

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Sun Jan 20 14:45:11 UTC 2013

TL;DR: I have a wild idea.  Would someone like to run a
train-the-trainers OpenHatch tutorial at Open Source Bridge?

The Open Source Bridge call for proposals just opened; deadline is 9
March.
http://opensourcebridge.org/blog/2013/01/2013-call-for-proposals-now-open/

OSBridge is a Portland, Oregon conference, 18-21 June 2013, that
concentrates on skillsharing and inspiration across the open
culture/open source/open data landscape.

"Our goal with Open Source Bridge is to gather a diverse citizenry and
inspire one another to make the world a better place through open source
technology and open culture principles.

In this regard, Open Source Bridge is unique among the landscape of
community-driven technology conferences. Rather than focusing on a
single language, platform, or knowledge-set, we strive to unite those
working across the spectrum of open technology and culture."

In the past several years, OSBridge has hosted several OpenHatch-ish or
OpenHatch talks, such as:
"How To Report A Bug" http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/412
"Text Lacks Empathy" http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/783
"Outreach Events: My Triumphs, My Mistakes"
http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/758
"29 Ways to Get Started in Open Source Today"
http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/787
"Learn Open Source Skills Without Embarrassing Yourself"
http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/705
"How Debian revitalized the 'mentors' list"
http://opensourcebridge.org/proposals/699
"Get more contributors (and diversity) through outreach"
http://opensourcebridge.org/proposals/697

So we know the audience is there -- people are definitely interested in
the nuts and bolts of how to make our communities more welcoming and
encouraging, and how to teach better.  So this year, I think the next
logical step would be to offer an OpenHatch train-the-trainers session,
to set participants up to run their own OpenHatch-style initiatives and
events.  This could either be a 1 hour & 45 minute session, or a
standalone event during a night or the Friday unconference day.

I can't run this; someone else would have to plan and run it.

Any interest?

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager