[Events] GNOME newcomers tutorial

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Tue Nov 6 02:23:18 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Marina Zhurakhinskaya's message of Mon Oct 15 02:15:46 -0400 2012:
> Hi all,
>
> Asheesh suggested that I e-mail the list about the newcomers tutorial
> I created for the GNOME Boston Summit newcomers events last weekend.
>
> https://live.gnome.org/NewcomersTutorial
>
> This tutorial was very much inspired by the OpenHatch setup
> instructions, missions and workshops!

: D

> The goal of the tutorial is to walk someone through the process of
> contributing a patch to GNOME. It has setup instructions for the tools
> used during the tutorial and, thanks to Owen Taylor, instructions for
> setting up a virtual machine with a provided Fedora 18 image in case
> people don't have a recent system with GNOME. Matthias Clasen created
> a dedicated newcomers-tutorial module in GNOME git and product in
> Bugzilla. The code is a simple JavaScript program that, when you run
> it, has a few obvious bugs. Then the tutorial walks you through
> cloning the git repository, running the program, fixing a bug in the
> code, creating a patch, uploading it to Bugzilla, and applying and
> reviewing someone else's patch.
>
> You can see the bugs that were filed and reviewed by the attendees here:
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=newcomers-tutorial

That's super exciting!

> It'd be great if we can integrate that tutorial in OpenHatch or use it
> at the workshops where participants learn to contribute to various
> FOSS projects (particularly in cities where we can have a few GNOME
> volunteers come to the event).

Using it at workshops would be super great. We can keep it in mind as we
plan next year's campus.openhatch.org events, and I'll be sure to
mention to other people who tell me they're organizing similar events.

Do you expect to clear our the bug tracker for that project between
events? I notice that people are continuing to submit bugs against it
(which is actually really exciting -- it changes the GnomeLove wiki page
from a static bit of text into an interactive adventure), but I'm not
sure it's a great experience to have people see the same bug they're
reporting.

If we wanted to make a training mission out of this, which is the best
way I can imagine to integrate it into OpenHatch, we could have a script
that sets up a fake bug tracker for each person, or each event where we
use it. We can look into that if it seems interesting to you, Marina!

Other ideas quite welcome!