[Events] BostonRB Project

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 7 14:07:50 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel,

> I'm introducing myself to this mailing list now because three weeks ago,
> everything changed for the Boston Ruby Community. There were stirrings
> of malaise in the Boston Ruby mailing list about our lack of diversity
> and beginner-friendliness.

This is a great story, and one of the things I love about the Ruby
community (MINSWAN: Matz is nice so we are nice).

Is there a post-event blog somewhere I could refer to?  A quick google
showed me some pre-event discussion on Meetup, but if there is a post-event
blog entry or something, I would like to refer to it in a few public
places.  I've been part of the Ruby Watir/Selenium community from the very
beginning, and many users of browser test automation tools are newbies
without a formal programming background, this would be of great interest.

Also, we are in the very early stages of implementing some browser test
automation at Wikimedia Foundation, and I hope to have a viable project in
Ruby available for public use in the not too distant future that will not
only be good for regression testing, but also serve as a reference
implementation of the page-object gem, Watir, Selenium, RSpec, and rake.
I've already had offers from Ruby user groups to help expand and improve
this suite of tests, and they don't even exist yet.  :-)

-Chris