[Events] Gearing up for WMF Hackathon exit survey

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Jul 23 20:28:09 UTC 2012

Hi OH-Events,

(First, an introduction: Nicholas Z. Gwynne is someone I met at the
Wikimania Hackathon who is a social science statistician at Berkeley, if I
recall the facts correctly. I invited him to this list, and he volunteered
to help with this exit survey. Other feedback welcome, too!)

I'm back in SF from travel, and wanted to get thoughts on an exit survey
for Hackathon attendees. What I want to do is summarize the goals of the
exit survey for you, then give you a link to a draft, as well as to a
previous survey so you have a sense of how they look.

Dear readers, but especially Nicholas, if you have time to give some
feedback, that'd be great. (Nicholas, if you want to meet up in person, I
could head down to Berkeley if that helps.)

Goals
-----

It's been about a fortnight since the Wikimania hackathon. In running an
exit survey, I have the following goals:

* Find out what we could improve about the event

* Find out what people liked about the event

* Find out what made people interested in signing up

* Find out what people accomplished, largely for a publicity goal of being
able to declare that the event was a success -- especially if those things
were accomplished because of our emphasis on newcomer friendliness

* Get some nice quotes from people that can be used in publicity to
summarize that the event was good

* For people that want to stay in touch and receive mentorship in the
future, get contact information

* Find out if the event is pushing people forward in terms of a trajectory
into becoming contributors

* Find out if people think the event was good enough to recommend to a
friend (as a way to provide internal feedback that our events are
generally good)

* Obtain qualitative data to confirm, or contradict, my notion that
newcomer-friendly language was important to getting attendees

Draft text
----------

Given that, here is a draft of the text of the survey:
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/wmf-hackathon-survey

It's in a live-editable system so you can just make edits there if you
want.

Once we have the text solid, I plan to send it out as a Google Docs
spreadsheet. It will look something like this past one:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGNtSUk1STVlYzlwekZRX0pQS0F2MVE6MQ#gid=0

I plan to put the text up-top (pre-questions) in a form email to the
people who "signed in" with Mike, auto-filling their name, and then
linking to the survey with a clickable link that has the email address
filled in.

We received some expression of concern last time that we used a URL
shortener without indicating where the link goes -- this time, I'll
indicate that the link goes to a Google Docs form so people know if
they're comfortable clicking on it.

Thoughts?
---------

If you have time, I'd love feedback on this. I'm hoping to send it out in
the next day or two, but if you want to respond but need more time, just
say so!