[Events] Planning for UMD: some thoughts, and a request for feedback

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Feb 18 00:38:50 UTC 2012

(Context: We have a http://campus.openhatch.org/ event at UMD College Park
coming up in a week. If you're in the DC area and/or able to travel to
College Park and are willing to help out, reply privately to me and we'll
figure out the best way to hook you in.)

Hey all (especially Jessica McKellar, who's also coming to the DC area for
it),

I am working on finalizing the planned Saturday event for UMD. This may
get long; I'll try to keep it focused.

Saturday is a tough day to schedule. We aim to give a *lot* of
information, hopefully enough so they can make sense of any given FLOSS
community when they run into it.

* Overall curriculum goals:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Saturday

* My current draft schedule:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/UMD

Here are the guiding thoughts behind my current plan. I'd love thoughts.

Laptop setup time can drag on
-----------------------------

At Penn, many students took some of the first hour of the event to install
Ubuntu on their machines. If that works, that's excellent. However, if the
resulting install doesn't, there's not really time to fix it.

Plan: Learning from Boston Python Workshop, I will create a
cross-platform, play-tested, and fairly minimal dependency checklist for
attendees. This does mean we'll have to make sure that the teaching
material can be properly experienced on Windows, Mac OS, and Linuxy
systems. A lot of this coming week will have to be spent play-testing and
documenting for that.

10 AM to 5 PM is a long, exhausting time

At Penn, we saw some substantial mid-day attrition. I think this was due
to 3 factors: (1) the day falling behind its schedule, (2) the day
actually being comprised of a lot of hours, and (3) inconsistent laptop
setup experiences among attendees, accidentally favoring those with more
experience.

With regard to #2, I think we should actually aim to shorten the event.
This schedule has wrap-up starting by 4PM.

Not enough time during the day for all the modules to be an hour long

If we add explicit time for laptop setup, something else has to give. I've
been considering what it should be, and I think that we should shrink two
things: "History and ethics of free, open source software" and
"Communicating as a user: finding the community and getting help".

Command-line skills have to be taught early

At Penn, not everyone had command line skills. The quickest way to teach
the basics is probably to use the Boston Python Workshop's quick CLI
tutorial, as part of Laptop Setup Time.

Over the course of the day, instructors got better at their module

This schedule makes the modules have decreasing lengths: 1h, 50 min, 45
min. The content doesn't change, but two things will change over the
course of the day: (1) the quality of delivery will increase, and (2)
students will already be familiar with more of the content because little
bits were introduced in previous modules they attended, so the instructor
can go a little faster.

Lunch should be flawless
------------------------

Luckily we're ordering food in, so we don't have to worry about people
getting lost to and from the location of the event. Still, we should avoid
losing time and/or having lunch be late.

People moving around causes disruption
--------------------------------------

At Penn, students rotated between rooms. That caused a lot of disruption.

So, in this schedule, only staff rotate (like the Boston Python Workshop).

Dependencies between modules should be avoided

This one will take some careful education engineering, but I think we can
make the curricula for the remaining 3 modules pretty separate. I'll work
on that.

That's it
---------

Okay, that's what I have for now. The weekend will see serious work on
these modules. Jessica especially, feedback and/or parts you're interested
in driving?

Again -- if you're in the Baltimore or DC area and are interested in
helping teach students how to get involved in FLOSS, speak up! (-:

Similarly, if you contribute to some FLOSS project, and want to mentor new
contributors on Sunday, you could just come to that day, which is reserved
as a hackathon/project day.