[Events] Is "Open Source Comes to Campus" needed?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Feb 3 20:09:24 UTC 2012

Hi events people,

While preparing for a quick talk at SFSU about campus.openhatch.org, I
realized that we don't have a data-based answer to the following question,
or anything quite like it:

"Within the pool of recent university graduates of a CS program, what
percentage have the skills and cultural knowledge to contribute to
Free/Libre Open Source Softare?"

It might be interesting to run a survey of seniors at one or two
colleges/universities that we have contacts at, asking specific questions
like "Have you ever seen a patch file?" "Have you used git?" etc., so that
we can use that when explaining the positive impact that
campus.openhatch.org could have. It might be interesting to break the
results down demographically.