[Events] Crafting an exit survey for campus events (Asheesh Laroia)

Lukas Blakk lukasblakk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:38:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Asheesh Laroia <lists at asheesh.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Kevin Carillo's message of Sun Apr 15 14:56:44 -0400 2012:
> > It looks good to me.
> > One issue though about your gender question:
> >
> > What is your gender (if you don't mind sharing)
> > Male
> > Female
> > Other
> > Do not wish to share
> >
> > Looks a bit too much: 4 options for gender! What would be an "other"
> gender?
> > You say "(if you don't mind sharing)" and then you give an option " Do
> not wish to share", why not simply:
> >
> > What is your gender (if you don't mind sharing)?
> > Male
> > Female
> >
> > If people do mind, then they won't answer.
> >
> > Good luck and long live OH!
>
> Thanks to you and Venkatesh for your thoughts on this! I think
> I'll keep it the way it is for now.
>
> I have enjoyed this question on an exit survey, years ago, from
> City Car Share: http://acm.jhu.edu/~paulproteus/tmp/gender-other.png

Fwiw, if it's not too late - I very much second the idea of asking for
gender in a text field.  Letting people fill in their own interpretation of
the question (and answer) doesn't cause too much data analysis pain later
and makes anyone for whom the binary (plus 'other' and/or 'don't want to
tell') feel a heck of a lot less othered.

Cheers,
Lukas