[Events] Proposed Boston Python Workshop website

Karen Rustad karen.rustad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:35:37 UTC 2011

Jessica's list of changes looks reasonable.

Beyond that, I have some thoughts, which also sort of gets at Jessica's
recent post on [Events].

I was kind of hoping that there would be a website about these sorts of
community-oriented programming-teaching events that got away from being
branded as exclusively Boston focused, or maybe even exclusively Python
focused. A website about sharing information about what worked and what
didn't in 1.) running successful workshops and 2.) growing user groups,
generally. Not only a marketing tool targeted at attendees (with postings
about related events in various places), but also providing detailed
curriculum and best practices information to encourage and empower people to
organize their own similar events. As someone not located in Boston, I would
be significantly more excited about contributing to something more general
and explicitly aiming to replicate itself.

When this effort first started, I thought that this website would be that
site. Apparently not. I guess that's okay -- BPW's done some awesome stuff,
and it makes sense to publicize it better.

But I still want that other site to exist.

There's more I could say about that, and relatedly, how OpenHatch as an
organization ought to architected, but I'll leave it at that for now.

-- Karen