[Events] Reflections on PyStar Philly

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 01:23:19 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

Adam and I went to Philadelphia last month to help with the second
PyStar Philly. I had a follow-up call with Dana Bauer, the head
organizer for PyStar Philly, afterwards to share some strategies we
use with the Boston Python Workshop and what's next for PyStar Philly.

Below are some meeting notes and some follow-up material.

-Jessica

===

The state of PyStar Philly

- The next workshop is tentatively scheduled for March 2012. It's
possible Dana will be able to organize a workshop earlier in the year
(Jan/Feb)
- Dana would like to organize a project night in November 2011
- Dana is looking for a co-organizer to help plan/organize and put
energy into these events (we already have a great group of volunteer
instructors)

The state of PhillyPUG's relationship with PyStar Philly

- the other PhillyPUG organizers don't have time to help directly with
the workshop, although they are very enthusiastic to have them be a
part of the meetup.
- PhillyPUG is interested in having more beginners generally and being
more beginner-friendly
- Finding Friday night and Saturday space for workshops is a
challenge. Space for weekday evening events is easier to find.

What Dana would like to see happen:

- would like to deliver the opening lecture at the next workshop
- wants to develop a core group of people in Philly who can give the
opening lectures, lead afternoon projects, create new projects
- more women in city-wide tech / hack events
- wants tech companies in Philly to have more women
- in an ideal world, would run quarterly workshops
- she's gotten mail from men who want to learn in a friendly
environment who aren't sure where they fit given PyStar's language
- have some in city, some in suburbs, help out women looking to make a
career change

- some sort of long-term plan for being able to guide people through a
career change. Python ->-> internship? -> job?

Sarah Allen from RailsBridge:
http://instagr.am/p/PhW4r/

How we can help her:
- create a mailing list through Open Hatch for python workshop and
project night volunteers (to exchange ideas, plan events, general
coordination of efforts)
- use Open Hatch wiki for Philly python workshop material
- make suggestions for womens' groups to reach out to for volunteers/attendees

===

It should be mentioned that Dana stepped up to being an organizer for
PhillyPUG in part to facilitate work with PyStar Philly, which I think
is awesome. As you all know, a central principle of the Boston Python
Workshop is working with the local user group to facilitate long-term
community involvement by alums, and Asheesh and I became Boston Python
user group organizers through our BPW work as well.

Regarding:

"- some sort of long-term plan for being able to guide people through
a career change. Python ->-> internship? -> job?"

I'm really interested in gathering testimonials from a bunch of people
who made this transition, so we have some data and concrete examples
to work with when we get these questions from workshop attendees. I
even worked up some questions that I sent to some people to get
feedback: http://openetherpad.org/qNN7ov4Kp7. If you are interested in
working on this, or you have made this career transition and want to
share your story, get in touch!

-Jessica