[Events] Following up about Mozilla and OpenHatch outreach events

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Oct 20 16:47:46 UTC 2011

Hi Julie!

Thanks for taking the time to talk with Jessica and me by email a few
weeks ago. I wanted to send out some notes from our call to you and the
public Events list, as we discussed on IRC.

So here they are!

(For context, Julie Deroche emailed us at hello at openhatch to see if she
could collaborate with us, through her recruiting work at Mozilla, on open
source outreach events like the one Jessica McKellar ran recently at MIT,
http://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Workshop )

You (Julie) explained to us that your outreach work at Mozilla is focused
on the top-tier computing schools where many Mozilla employees seem to
come from. Mozilla runs quite varied outreach events, generally targeted
at upper-classmen, trying to find areas of interest particular to the
students at that institution.

You asked about our follow-up, and Jessica pointed out that for the Penn
and MIT workshop, we've sent out links to further open source recruitment
events.

Some things that really impressed me about the events you organize:

* It must take a lot of work to put together such different event for such
different schools! It's a real commitment to the students, and I hope that
they appreciate it!

* It's great to hear that you really like the teaching aspect that these
events can bring, even though they're coming from recruitment within
Mozilla. Teaching is something that we feel is really important, too.

* It's also great to hear about the huge attendance you've seen at your
events: 150 people or so at OSL! 30-50 at Stanford and MIT and Brown!

Julie, we asked if you could:

Soon:

* Read through my "critical review of the Penn Open Source Hackathon" at
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/events/2011-September/000213.html

* Get on the Events mailing list at the openhatch domain

* Take a look at the interactive teaching tools we have, called "training
missions," and see what you make of the git and svn ones.

* See if you can help us get in touch with people interested in writing
about the Boston Python Workshop, and how our MIT and Penn workshops had
reasonably-balanced gender ratios (30-60% women).

Eventually:

* Help us with finding local contacts as we try to find computer clubs
that want to host an instance of http://campus.openhatch.org/ , and local
Mozilla contributors that want to help be staff for such an event

* Perhaps help with travel and food sponsorship for such an event,
especially if it's at a school that you target your outreach to

Thanks for talking with us, and let's talk again soon!