[Events] [Bpw-staff] Boston Python Workshop news: $3300 grant from the PSF!

Lukas Blakk lukasblakk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 17:12:34 UTC 2011

Getting others on the call would be a good idea - I'm going to extend
this invitation to the PyStar mailing list.

Friday at 4pm works for me best of the three time slots you've suggested.

We can talk about it more on the phone but I'd like to address a couple
of the issues you've raised:

PyStar SF/BayArea has connections with existing local groups - CodeChix
and some of the BayPiggies have participated and been teachers at
previous workshops. We promote our workshops within both those groups.
I'm definitely on board with solidifying that connection as we continue
with these efforts but I would like to hear more from other PyStar
organizers on how it's been working in their cities.

The name PyStar is a play on Py* as in 'python for all' and calling it
PyStar in text form continues that positive encouragement that anyone
and everyone can be a Python Star.  It's not coming up in the top hits
of Google searches yet but I hope that will change over time as there is
more reach and promotion for both BPW and PyStar.

At the end of the day I think merging will get everyone further than
having separate projects, I have no dog in the fight about where the
organizational home is, PyStar has and will continue to be free, and the
goal (for me anyway) was always about creating community and connecting
with the existing communities in whatever city the workshops are run in.

So I think we could make this work and look forward to a phone chat soon.

Cheers,
Lukas