[Events] PyStar Philly

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon May 30 03:08:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Dana Bauer wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm interested in starting a PyStar workshop here in Philly, with a focus on
> helping moms learn how to code. I'm a GIS analyst, and I've been working
> with Python for about 6 months now, but I still classify myself as a
> beginner. How can I get a Philly PyStar going? I'm sure my office would be
> willing to host it.

Hi Dana, and the rest of the Events list!

I just wanted to chime in with some quick thoughts.

First, for me, I try to think about not just teaching people to program
but getting them connected to communities of helpful people, so that they
have humans and email lists to turn to when they run into problems or want
advice. I hinted at that a little at
http://www.asheesh.org/note/community/boston-python-meetup.html , which I
sent out separately to the list. You wrote that you're mostly interested
in helping moms learn how to code, which is awesome, and I think that
community support will be a big part of this. One other thing here is that
I am really excited about the idea of taking existing communities and
diversifying them. (-:

Second, this is mostly to Dana: I am going to be in Philadelphia this
week, from Monday May 30 evening until Friday June 3 10am. I would love to
hang out and chat about your plans! And maybe anyone else you know who is
in Philly who is interested in programming outreach and/or open source
community growth.

(-:,

http://asheesh.org/

You two ought to be more careful--your love could drag on for years and years.