[Events] Status update on Django+alwaysdata tutorial

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Mar 3 15:59:11 UTC 2011

I made https://github.com/paulproteus/workshop-mysite which has everything
needed to be up and running on either a local machine (should be
cross-platform) or alwaysdata.com.

I have fully-tested OS X setup instructions on the wiki, and halfway-done
Windows ones that are based on the OS X ones. Maybe tonight at the setup
time, we can have someone work through the Windows directions and clean
them up? Otherwise, I can take that on. (The OS X instructions will almost
definitely need someone to go through them, too.)

The next step is copying the Django tutorial, with the following changes:

* Reference my Github repository
* Explain how to deploy onto Alwaysdata
* Change the Poll model to include an image, as suggested by Deb

I've tested "ssh"ing into alwaysdata.com and running "git pull" to get
updates from Github, and it works well. Sometimes one has to restart the
FastCGI worker process; that'll be part of the docs.

Unrelatedly, I seem to be halfway through a cold, so I'm hoping I'll feel
well enough to get to the tonight session. Likely I will, but I wanted to
share this ominous warning.

You need more time; and you probably always will.