[Events] LA PyLadies and LA Django present Django Day

Audrey Roy audreyr at pyladies.com
Tue Jul 19 21:13:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Jessica McKellar
<jessica.mckellar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Audrey,
>
>> We still have 8 women's tickets and could use help getting the word out:
>> - Would it be possible to get it added to pystar.org?  Anything I can
>> do to make it easier, e.g. fork & submit pull request?
>> - Any other PyStar channels we could post this on?
>
> This looks like a great event! I look forward to hearing about how it
> goes. I've tweeted as @openhatchery and told people on #openhatch on
> Freenode.
>
> I don't know what advertising you've done already, but my go-to group
> for last-minute advertising is local colleges. For programming
> outreach events focused on women I look for college chapters of the
> Society of Women Engineers, undergraduate and graduate Women in
> $SCIENCEDEPT groups, and similar organizations.
>
> Best of luck with the event,
> -Jessica

Thanks a ton, Jessica!

So far we've advertised mostly through user groups, personal contacts,
our mailing list, and a few other women's developer mailing lists.
Local colleges and women's science/eng groups at them are a great idea
- we'll try that next.

In the afternoon we're encouraging people to get a taste of
open-source Django development.  We'll be having attendees open-source
their own projects on Github or go to openhatch.org to find volunteer
opportunities (worked out well last month)

OpenHatch folks, is there anything else you recommend?  Any specific
Django projects looking for contributors?  (I know there's p2pu, which
I've heard great things about)

Audrey