[Events] Next steps for "Boston Python workshops"

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Jan 20 15:39:29 UTC 2011

So, first of all:

For context, I and Jessica McKellar and Christine Spang and Deborah Nicholson
are planning to make a Boston event kind of like the "San Francisco Ruby
Workshops" that you can read about at http://sfrubyworkshops.com/.

Format
------

Friday night, pre-event: We help the attendees set up laptops.

Saturday, all day: Attendees

The four of us talked a week ago, and came up with these...

Next steps
----------

* Jessica figures out what dates work for the Microsoft New England Research &
Development Center ("MS NERD").

* Jessica emails us about the visual programming thing she thought might be
cool.

* Spang emails us more about why Snipdom might be cool: http://snipdom.net/

* Decide a weekend to run the workshop on.
** This require a poll, so I'll send this out just after this email.

General notes
-------------

Decide date
 	-> We need to know everyone's schedule constraints

Spaces

* Deb says universities are a good idea
* Deb suggest Encuentro 5
** ca. $125/day
** Chinatown: yay, easy lunch
* MS NERD
** via Jessica's boyfriend
* ITA Soft
** via Jessica's boyfriend

Asheesh talking at Python Meetup group
* -> schedule this talk!

      (editor's note: this took place on Wed Jan 19)

Jessica can provide Friday laptop setup helpers

Asheesh can try to find more teachers

Deb can help set up laptops. Asheesh suggests she full-on attend the Saturday
workshop.

Jessica suggests staggered setup on Friday, in part to avoid overwhelming the
helpers.

Asheesh can try to get in touch with other people who ran similar workshops.

Pre-Friday, Jessica points out we should have a run-through of what Friday
setup will be like, so our teachers know what to expect.

What kind of programs do we want people to write?

* Asheesh says, web apps!

* Jessica suggests something visual.

* Christine points to snipdom.

Q:	How many IBM CPU's does it take to do a logical right shift?
A:	33.  1 to hold the bits and 32 to push the register.