[Events] Unanswered questions about Railsbridge

Karen Rustad karen at openhatch.org
Tue Feb 15 22:44:07 UTC 2011

The sessions were not at all distinguished by content -- those were just the
points at which we took breaks. Throughout all four sessions we went through
the tutorial (on the wiki), punctuated by lectures as we got to relevant
things (in order (iirc): basic explanation of HTTP / talking to servers,
what load balancing w. multiple servers looks like conceptually, git 101,
m-v-c separation, and finally the basic elements of ruby/programming
(functions, classes, variables, etc.)). If I had to, I'd say there was more
lecture in sessions 1 and 2 than 3 and 4, but there was at least a little
bit of "let's pause in the tutorial and talk about what the heck is going on
in the background here" in all four.

I think even the low programming groups at least got the basic topic posting
app running and deployed (on Heroku), though I don't think everyone got to
implementing e.g. voting (the last bit of the tutorial). However, most
groups didn't have as much lecture or background information--most didn't
have *any* of that stuff, I suspect. Also, I don't think I talked to anyone
who hadn't at least *tried* to go through a tutorial or otherwise read about
Ruby or another programming language on their own prior to attending.

The TAs thought Francis' background info was helpful, so I think they're
going to try to standardize the curriculum to include his spiels /
whiteboard drawings in all the groups. Who knows what that'll do in terms of
beginner-section completion rates, though, I suppose.

-- Karen