[Events] [STNYLUG] Intro To Open Source: Now with a date.

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Thu Feb 10 16:12:38 UTC 2011

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your interest. Are you near the area?

We don't have a website for the event - but I can provide the description here:

Topics will include:

What is open source?
This will be a discussion about what applications you use that are
open source, pros and cons of open source, difference between free,
GPL, and proprietary licenses, etc

Communication & Netiquette – How to ask Smart Questions
This will include  Mailing Lists, IRC, netiquette, what developers
need in bug reports, etc

Lifecycle of a Patch – getting someone else to use your code
This will include  downloading code from a VCS, to compiling modifying
and generating a patch, to submitting a bug report with the patch

Tools of the Trade – planets!? I thought there were only 8.

Basic Command Line skills – Computers have pipes?
How can I use the shell to do better things

Linux/Unix in the Industry – its not all windows

Install Fest – I want      (insert feature)     too.

The closing will discuss how to find an open source project that your
interested in - and how to start contributing to the project.

If anyone you would like more details feel free to email me.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Michael V <mavrick13927 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Eitan,
>
> I don't know anything about this event.  Is there a web site where we can
> get more information?  Also, I would be very interested in some sort of
> introduction to Open Source programming, particularly one which addresses
> making the transition from using all proprietary products to using  Open
> Source products and standards of practice.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael V.
>

>> From: lists at eitanadler.com
>> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:45:47 -0500
>> To: events at lists.openhatch.org; stnylug-list at stnylug.org
>> CC: asheesh at asheesh.org
>> Subject: [STNYLUG] Intro To Open Source: Now with a date.
>>
>> I had previously sent mail to these lists about an intro to open
>> source event taking place at Binghamton university.
>> The final date and time is February 20th from about 1:00 to 4:00. Rooms
>> TBA.
>>
>> To STNYLUG: you had expressed interest in running a *nix installfest
>> during the same time (as a part of the event) are you still interested
>> To events at openhatch: Is there some calendar of events you keep that I
>> should be adding this event to.
>>

>> --
>> Eitan Adler

Eitan Adler