[Events] New P2PU course by Greg Wilson: How to Teach Webcraft and Programming to Free-Range Students

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 03:41:59 UTC 2011

Hi events,

Greg Wilson (of Software Carpentry and Beautiful Code fame, more at
http://third-bit.com) is teaching an online course called How to Teach
Webcraft and Programming to Free-Range Students via P2PU:

http://p2pu.org/en/groups/how-to-teach-webcraft-and-programming-to-free-range-students/

Greg is great lecturer and all about being data-driven. This course
looks at the data behind the kinds of grassroots outreach folks on
this list are doing: what works and what doesn't for long-term impact
on "free-range" learners? I've signed up and I hope some folks from
this list do as well.

For a taste of his lecture style, check out What We Actually Know
About Software Development, and Why We Believe It's True:

http://vimeo.com/9270320

Below is the full course description.

-Jessica

--
Jessica McKellar
http://jesstess.com

===

How to Teach Webcraft and Programming to Free-Range Students

What do we know about how novices learn webcraft and programming, and
how can we apply that knowledge to teaching free-range learners?

Right now, people all over the world are learning how to write
programs and create web sites, but for every one who is doing it in a
classroom there are a dozen free-range learners. This group will
explore how we, as mentors, can best help them. Topics will include:

* What does research tell us about how people learn?

* Why are the demographics of programming so unbalanced?
* What best practices in instructional design are relevant to
free-range learners?
* What skills do people need in order to bake their own web?
* How are grassroots groups trying to teach these things now?
* What's working and what isn't?

Everyone is welcome to participate or follow along.

http://p2pu.org/en/groups/how-to-teach-webcraft-and-programming-to-free-range-students/