[Events] Hosting a women's Python workshop in LA

Audrey Roy audreyr at cartwheelweb.com
Tue Apr 12 18:00:22 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this list ever since meeting Asheesh at PyCon.
 Greetings from LA :)

So we (myself and the other LA Python women) are hoping to host a women's
Python workshop in LA next month.  I've been looking at various options for
class material including:
- the PyStar version of the Django poll tutorial
- Zed Shaw's Learn Python the Hard Way book
- something else from the web and/or something custom, e.g. Flask or App
Engine-based which may be more beginner-friendly than Django

I saw your earlier posts about what went well/what students had trouble
with, and I'm doing a bit more research.  Do you have any advice on teaching
specifically the PyStar Django poll tutorial?  We're happy to fork and
contribute if there are any parts that could be made easier for beginners.
 I do like the idea of getting women into hands-on Python web programming
since it's practical.

Also, if any of the PyStar organizers or class assistants have time to talk
over the phone, I'd love to chat briefly and humbly ask for advice.  You can
reach me at Cartwheel at 818-288-1008, or I can email you my personal cell #
privately.

Audrey