[Events] Boston Python Workshop 2 feeler e-mail

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Apr 2 19:58:28 UTC 2011

Here are my thoughts quickly!

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Gregg Lind wrote:

> It seems like we are duplicating lots of effort in materials and the
> like.  Do we want to converge on any technologies or methods?
>
> 1)  Do you want advertising / merging into PyStar?

I think that it would be nice if our Boston Python workshop's web page
talked about how cool it is that lots of other people are doing something
similar and calling it PyStar.

I am neutral on the topic of renaming our workshops. Either way is okay
with me!

> 2)  The Wiki vs the PyStar site?

The PyStar site is in git, which is nice for forkability. It's not as nice
for attendees fixing up busted instructions. That just leaves me confused
as to the "right" answer.

I want to make sure everyone knows the way I see PyStar and the OpenHatch
events, which is that they should be extremely forkable. I want 100 cities
running 50-10 different slightly wacky local curricula, but I also want
people to be able to read each others' work in terms of making their
materials better.

Maybe the thing I would love the most is if there were a "central"
repository of everyone's work merged into one giant set of directories of
restructured text. I don't know. The ability for local groups to make
their own infrastructure is important to me -- no one city's awesome
website changes should be blocked by having to ask permission to SSH into
the main website and do a "git pull".

> 3)  Eventbrite?  Are y'all using meetup instead?  If so, why (genuine interest).

We are using Meetup. Inertia plus experience. I talked about that a little
in http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/events/2011-March/000123.html .

> 4)  Co-ordinating timings of workshops, etc.

I'd be interested to hear why that's worth doing. Honest question.

> I could hang out Friday day (lunchtime, April 8) in Boston before my
> flight back, if people want to meet/discuss.  I could use me some Other
> Side or Friendly Toast, or such!

I would like to hang out, and Friday @ Friendly Toast would be quite good
for me. Other Side is okay but less convenient. I'm open to other ideas.

Mega (-:,