[OH-Dev] Brainstorming Strategic Technical Planning ideas for OpenHatch 2015-2016

Elana Hashman elana at hashman.ca
Thu Oct 29 21:45:39 UTC 2015

This etherpad has now been archived, but here's a copy of its
contents for the record:

OpenHatch - Welcoming Contributors to Open
Source 2015 and Beyond

Hello OpenHatch friends and
contributors,

OpenHatch has done so much great work over the years and
fulfilled its mission of "welcoming" new contributors to Open Source,
running Open Source Comes to Campus events, and giving many people the
gentle encouragement to try contributing and the guidance to succeed.
Whether it's a late night IRC chat, a friendly hello at a PyCon sprint,
or an honest "yeah, that confused me when I began too", the people of
OpenHatch and their gifts are our the most valuable assets of our
organization.

As individuals, each of us are talented in our own unique
ways. When we come together as a community, we become a powerful force
to create the humane, graceful, productive environment that we believe
is possible in open source.

This Etherpad will begin OpenHatch's
strategic planning sprint for our future web presence, educational
focus, and a sustainable 2015-2016 effort.

1. Why are we having this
sprint?

 * Share ideas on the strengths of OpenHatch
 * Reboot our
legacy codebase and wiki to something easier to maintain
 * Share ideas
on how best as an organization to encourage new contributors
 * Inspire
and reinvigorate contributors to OpenHatch by creating more clarity
around the needs of the community and the direction of our website and
our outreach

2. How can you help?

We're in brainstorming mode for the
next two weeks. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the Etherpad.
Initially, let's focus on sharing ideas and thoughts. One ground rule
about brainstorming here: please share your ideas yet please refrain
from judging the ideas of others. After the initial two weeks (8/10/2015
- 8/24/2015), we will begin prioritizing and remixing ideas into
OpenHatch 2015 and beyond.

Thanks,
Sufjan, our reliable, welcoming
OpenHatch mascot
(and
Carol)

OpenHatch's
specific strengths.
- A welcoming IRC channel
- A great
community-helpful and fun
- Name recognition in the community
-
Welcoming events

OpenHatch's most valuable web assets for helping
foster new contributors to open source
- IRC channel
- Missions
-
/search (bug aggregation, making it easy to find bugs and projects)
-
Wiki (all the OSCTC stuff is on here, as well as a number of other
workshops/events!)
- Discourse (for planning events?)
- Mailing lists
(for planning events?)

What do you believe OpenHatch could discontinue
or deprecate, and why?
- Deprecate the existing OpenHatch wiki and
migrate the content to a more easily maintained document
 - Let's move
instead to flat files; e.g: Markdown
 - Use an automated process like
Travis CI to rebuild the rendered output.
 - Discourse would be another
option (topics can be made 'wikis', that is have mutliple authors)
 -
But not clear to me how anything is more easily maintained than wiki!
-
Projects and profiles on the website
 - Can we just re-use and utilize
other "identity" providers such as Google, Github, Bitbucket, etc? (what
does that mean with respect to projects profiles?)
- Mailer bot
-
/search
 - IMO it is a great idea that right now is embarrassingly
clunky. revamping or replacing is biggest non-event opportunity for OH.
One suggestion is working with http://up-for-grabs.net/#/ which is far
simpler and looks nicer but I'm not at all sure is actually that
useful.

Other thoughts that you would like to share
- I think grooming
the existing issues into projects of varying degrees of expertise would
draw a lot of student contributors who often look for well defined
problem statements to work on.
- Mobile friendly/mobile responsive
should be supported. +++++++++
 - Bootstrap, PureCSS, etc. Let's
redesign a smoother looking UI for new comers!
- I am excited to see
fresh new development priorities for the site, with a possible refresh
on the horizon.
- Let's *actually* get Github/Bitbucket issue syncing
working! ++

On 2015-08-10 01:49, Carol Willing wrote:

> Hello
OpenHatch developers, contributors, and friends,

> We're kicking off
a 2 week brainstorming sprint (8/10/2015 to 8/24/2015) to help generate
ideas. Details are contained in a letter at the top of the Etherpad:
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/oh-welcoming-2015 [1]

> This Etherpad
will begin OpenHatch's strategic planning sprint for our future website,
educational focus, and technical sustainability for 2015-2016. This
discussion was kicked off at OpenSource Bridge this year as well as over
IRC. We hope you will share your honest ideas :D

> Why are we having
this sprint?

> * Share ideas on the strengths of OpenHatch
>
> *
Reboot our legacy codebase and wiki to something easier to maintain

* Share ideas on how best as an organization to encourage new
contributors

> * Inspire and reinvigorate contributors to OpenHatch
by creating more clarity around the needs of the community and the
direction of our website and our outreach

> Warmly,
> Carol
>
> --

> CAROL WILLING