[OH-Dev] Revisiting older bugs in the tracker: Sun. Jan 25

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Jan 25 21:25:43 UTC 2015

People that spoke during the meeting (by IRC nick):

* phildini
* shauna
* ehashman
* paulproteus
* willingc
* pdurbin

Things that occurred during the meeting:

* We closed a sizeable number of issues, moving the total open-issues count
down to 198 open ones (I don't actually know the total number before the
meeting)

* We decided to label bugs as mentor-available, as an optional, more social
way to remark that a bug is bitesized. If you want to mentor someone in
fixing a bug, perhaps by offering to remote-pair-program, then add a
comment to the bug saying that, plus add this label.

* We disagreed on the precise meaning of the word "pairing"; shauna &
paulproteus agreed to table that topic to another time.

* At least one new person volunteered to remote-pair-program with people on
OpenHatch issues.

* We discovered at least one more piece of functionality that can be
deleted -- https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/issues/1524

* We also clarified a bunch of bugs' content & titles, rather than just
outright closing them.

* We created a github issues label called "blog" which we can use for bugs
that relate to the blog in particular.

* We wrote up a basic list of the various purposes the site is supposed to
achieve, and willingc is adding that to the docs.

* We also wrote up a list of code functionality that is historic and likely
deletable; willingc is adding this to the docs right now.

* Shauna remarked that the WrongIcon model is a good example of code that
seems under-documented; Asheesh remarked that some information is available
in the git log; all agreed that if we want people to be "code
archaeologists" that the OpenHatch docs should provide information on tools
like GitHub's online "blame" view and "git log -S" to search for more
information.

* pdurbin wondered if one reason the codebase is hard to hack on is that
there is divergence between how the code runs in "development" vs. how the
code runs in "production". shauna & paulproteus expressed a sentiment that
that's not a big deal. (Upon reflection, I think this *is* a big deal for
the oh-bugimporters codebase, actually. Just not for oh-mainline.)

* More things were said; the above is what seemed important for me to
summarize to the OH-Dev list.

Link to IRC log:

It starts here:
http://irclogs.jackgrigg.com/irc.freenode.net/openhatch/2015-01-25#i_3556464

Personal note:

This was fun and I'd totally do it again. Thanks to ehashman for calling it!