[OH-Dev] Search Expansion

Alex Chumbley Chumbley at mit.edu
Thu Apr 16 16:22:19 UTC 2015

> I'm super excited by this idea, Alex, and would love to support you in
> doing this.
>
> I have a few ideas I've been mulling over, but haven't had time to
> implement, so part of me wants to say: I suggest you implement whatever you
> think is better, and we can merge it if it's no worse.
>
> (Also, whoa -- what open source dev class? That sounds super.)

Sweet! So, it seems like a pretty big undertaking to totally redesign how
search is done. I agree with all the points in the issues you linked.
However, it would be a more manageable task to just use the Github API to
load in any project data from the search results (on the client with JS),
and populate the results with it.

Now, it's more of a cosmetic change (people wouldn't be able to search by
"Large Projects/Small Projects" etc. If a redesign of search is in the
works, though, maybe it's not a good idea to just do a small cosmetic
change. Maybe it would be smarter to just bite the bullet and start
re-designing stuff. I'm not as familiar with the " crazy hack of MySQL
REGEX queries" that are done to do search currently, so I'd be a little
less helpful until I got caught up. But, even as a cosmetic change, one can
imagine the benefits that could be gleaned from having more info about the
project itself in the bugs that appear in the search results.

I don't think something like this is going to be a DB task since all of
this data changes potentially daily, but I'm totally open to ideas on how
to proceed. I'm going to start hacking around with the Github API and see
what I can do with the client. This would be easiest and result in the
least impact on the current system in terms of bits of code touched. Let me
know if anyone has any thoughts!