[OH-Dev] Reconfigured OpenHatch server to be more stable

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Sep 23 03:56:08 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I just finished making a few changes that I believe should be associated
with a noticeable increase in reliability of our website.

* Upgraded our server (linode.openhatch.org) from Debian squeeze
(oldstable) to wheezy (stable).

* Adjusted the web server configuration so that the main web app is served
via nginx+uwsgi, not nginx+Apache+mod_wsgi. This means fewer layers of
indirection between nginx and our Python code, which will almost definitely
be a great thing.

* Apache -- I switched to the version in Debian stable, rather than a
hand-compiled version. This does mean we lose some custom logging I once
wrote in an Apache patch, but that doesn't really matter.

* MySQL -- upgraded to 5.5 (we were running 5.1), as part of the Debian
upgrade.

* Deployed the latest version of the code, because why not.

If you find any weirdnesses, let me know!

Also, in unrelated news, I'm visiting family this week in India (New
Delhi). So my time zone, at least, might be more different from yours than
it usually is. (Or less different, depending on where you live!)