[OH-Dev] Let's update our visible advice for project maintainers

Britta Gustafson brittag at gmail.com
Thu May 15 19:25:58 UTC 2014

When project maintainers to go https://openhatch.org/ and click "Add your
project: use this site to make your favorite project more welcoming" (
https://openhatch.org/guide/), our advice there is somewhat out of date -
it doesn't fully represent our current resources for projects, and it
recommends a couple ideas from 2012 (Starling and Build it) that didn't
seem to stick.

According to Google Analytics, the /guide/ page got 150 visitors this
month, which is very few compared to /search/ and /missions/ (5800 and 4000
visitors), but if even some of those 150 visitors are project maintainers,
we have an opportunity to help a lot of potential newcomers to their
projects by giving those maintainers effective advice.

So let's update this front-page entry-point to make it a useful resource
for curious visitors who click on it. I'd love to make /guide/ into
something that people want to bookmark and share on Twitter as "this sounds
like a juicy set of steps for our project to dig into as we improve our
onboarding process for newcomers".

We can recommend becoming an affiliated project for OSCTC, or at least
considering the advice here: http://campus.openhatch.org/projects.html -
and also considering the advice at http://opensource-events.com/ even if
not intending to have an in-person event. We can also recommend holding a
setup sprint (http://openhatch.org/blog/2014/introducing-setup-sprints/) or
even a SpinachCon (
https://openhatch.org/blog/2014/spinachcon-zero-a-huge-success/).

Revising this page will probably require some outlining and drafting! Maybe
sometime a few people can get together with an Etherpad and see what we
come up with.

Britta