[OH-Dev] Need some guidance on how to handle Issue 971

Eeshan Garg jerryguitarist at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:58:42 UTC 2014

Hello!

First of all my apologies for the delayed reply. Thank you both for
replying and a huge thanks for the great advice. The advice that you both
gave me actually led to a bit of research and as a result I learned some
important bits that are definitely going to help me later on.

And also, I very well understand and respect that paulproteus is a busy
person. And one of the most amazing things about him is that even though I
bugged him a lot during the PyCon sprints, he always replied with a smile.
If it hadn't been for him and his encouragement, I probably wouldn't have
made those tine little commits to oh-mainline and it would have been
impossible for me to get started contributing this early.

As for the backwards compatibility, I complete agree with you ehashman. I
did a bit of research and found these pages <
http://htmlref.com/reference/appa/tag_kbd.htm> and <
http://htmlref.com/reference/appa/tag_samp.htm>. According to these pages
and some other resources that I came across, the <kbd> and <samp> tags go
as back as far as HTML2. So, I do think that in this regard, the <kbd> and
<samp> tags sound okay. As for employing kbd and samp appropriately, I can
think of one valid solution but it's a bit hard to implement. What we can
do is use three tags for different purposes, the tags are var, kbd and
samp. We can use <var> for variable names(that's what its meant for
actually) and for directory names and we can use <kbd> for things meant to
be typed by the user as most of the places where <tt> is used is when we
ask our users to type a command for example. So <kbd> can represent things
like terminal commands. And <samp> can represent sample output. I
completely agree that doing things this way would actually lead to a
semantically richer HTML document. Why this solution is hard to implement
is because <tt> tag is actually the tag used for all the three purposes
described above. And according to "git grep --name-only '<tt' ", the <tt>
tag is scattered across 280 different files in oh-mainline. So going
through the 280 files and actually determining whether a <tt> should be
enjoy making this contribution if I get a +1 from you guys.

Also in the issue tracker <http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue971>, I actually
proposed a second solution. At the PyCon sprints, I wrote a section called
"Usage instructions for the code, pre and tt tags" in the Front-end style
guide <https://openhatch.org/wiki/Front-end_style_guide>. As you can see
there is not much difference between the CSS properties  for <pre> and
<code> and we could easily modify the properties for <code> to represent
what the <tt> tag is currently used to represent. And doing this would also
maintain the semantics of the document. :)

My apologies for the length of this reply, I have a tendency to take things
too seriously sometimes. :)

Let me know what you guys think. I would be willing to implement a solution
to this and I think it would be a great learning experience for me.

Thanks & regards,
Eeshan Garg
<https://github.com/eeshangarg>