[OH-Dev] [issue948] In diff/patch training missions, switch to "curl" rather than "wget"

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Sun Mar 9 16:55:39 UTC 2014

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

On Windows, we recommend the "Git Bash" toolkit, which (if I understand
correctly) does not include wget.

Therefore, when Windows users work through the tar training mission, we might be
setting them up for disaster. To fix that, we should recommend "curl" instead,
which most GNU/Linux users will have, and is standard on Mac OS, and comes with
Git Bash.

This ticket tracks the of reviewing all the mission steps within
https://openhatch.org/missions/diffpatch and finding the places where they
recommend "wget" (look in the hints box, and check the "High" hint level
especially!), converting them to use "curl -O" (dash capital o), and testing
those command lines to make sure they work properly.

Once we do this, more Windows and Mac users will have an easy time learning via
the tar training mission.

messages: 4167
nosy: paulproteus
priority: bug
status: unread
title: In diff/patch training missions, switch to "curl" rather than "wget"