[OH-Dev] [issue1001] Tar mission improvements

shauna bugs at openhatch.org
Wed Jun 11 16:50:20 UTC 2014

New submission from shauna <shaunagm at gmail.com>:

I recently went through the tar mission and have three notes on content:

- Was it a conscious decision to put all instructions in the form of hints?
There's no explanation of tar commands besides in hints, which might be
disconcerting to folks.

- The wget command shouldn't be in the "high" hint section (this is in the first
step of the mission, unpacking tarballs).  It's a more advanced step that
advanced users might want to use, but the "high" hint section is for less
advanced users.  The folks most likely to enjoy it are least likely to see it.
I recommend moving it out of the hints section entirely.

- Why do we not explain any of the options given to tar?  For instance as
explained here: http://www.slackbook.org/html/archive-files-tar.html

messages: 4394
nosy: paulproteus, shauna
priority: wish