[OH-Dev] Need some feedback regarding the pip/easyinstall mission

Eeshan Garg jerryguitarist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 16:09:05 UTC 2014

Hi!

Thanks a lot for replying and for the guidance! Here is what I think.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 4:03 AM, Carol Willing <
willingc at willingconsulting.com> wrote:

> This section highlights pip vs. easy_install:
> https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/current.html#packaging-tool-recommendations
>  My understanding is that easy_install use will be decreasing over time.
> Do we want to deemphasize easy_install in the mission (or refer people to
> the packaging guide for additional information).

If you think that easy_install should be left out, I would be willing to
cut it out because now that I think about it, I have never used
easy_install myself, so now I am doubtful about whether including it in the
mission is a good idea or not.

> I have not looked at the mission in a while but we may also want to point
> out that pip3 is used for Python 3.4 (current version 3 release).

Basically the mission has five steps:

1. About - The text of this page is what I asked feedback for in this email
thread(see my first email).
2. Setup - How to install the tools we want to work with in this case pip
or easy_install(if we choose to include it in the mission).
3. Installing packages - Here we ask the user to install a package using
pip and ask them to paste the output of the pip freeze command to make sure
that they followed the steps we asked them to.
4. Removing packages - How to remove a package(optionally, we could ask for
the pip freeze/pip list output here again if we want)
5. Quick Reference - Other commonly used commands in pip

When it comes to pip3, I would be willing to include instruction about
commands using both pip3 and pip, which I think would make the mission more
awesome!

Also, apart from these issues, I would really appreciate it if you can give
me more feedback about whether the way I write and explain things in the
About page of the mission is right or not.

Thanks a lot for the awesome advice, I learned a lot from it. :)

Regards,
Eeshan Garg