[OH-Dev] [issue940] Write an informative, welcoming wiki page that lists the 5 most important OpenHatch email lists

Britta Gustafson brittag at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 08:37:56 UTC 2014

I think this may be successfully solved without an additional wiki page!

I am seeing two goals here: #1 is make our important mailing lists easy &
appealing to subscribe to, and #2 is make our list of mailing lists nicer
and more helpful to read.

For goal #1, we could improve this by making sure the important mailing
lists are easy to find at the moment when people are likely to be
interested in them. We already sort of have an "important mailing lists"
page at https://openhatch.org/wiki/Contact - we could flesh this out and
add the missing important ones, Announce and OSCTC-Planning. And looking at
how we're using other potential moments of interest:

* For Announce, we could also add the "subscribe to our monthly newsletter"
widget from the blog sidebar (http://openhatch.org/blog/) to the homepage.
* Devel is already linked from the website footer, nicely in context.
* Events is prominently linked from the homepage.
* OSCTC-Planning is linked from http://campus.openhatch.org/ under "Get
started".
* Peers is an odd one, but at least it's linked on the Contact page. I'm
not sure where else to put it.

We might add Publicity as a sixth important list, since we use it a lot,
it's public, and it's something that new volunteers can help with. We could
add this to https://openhatch.org/wiki/Get_involved and the Contact page.

For goal #2, we could make the list of mailing lists prettier. I've
attached an HTML mockup that adds more descriptions, notes in descriptions
which lists are private, and divides the list into sections: "OpenHatch
announcements and discussions that are fun for everyone", "Other OpenHatch
logistics and projects", "Open Source Comes to Campus, specific campuses
and regions", "Community projects", and "Archived OpenHatch mailing lists
(inactive)".

Britta