[OH-Dev] [issue927] Adjust /search/ to do faceted browsing client-side

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Sat Feb 1 18:08:09 UTC 2014

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

A goal of the current implementation is that if you search for "C" you won't
find "C++". We implement this by a crazy hack of  MySQL REGEX queries. We should
probably switch this to client-side faceted search, as here in 2014, it's safe
to assume people have Javascript.

That would also let us remove some of the MySQL-specific query syntax to make
faceted search at openhatch.org/search/ work nicely.

http://www.simile-widgets.org/exhibit3/examples/cereals/cereal-characters.html
is a sample of a nice-seeming faceted browsing library in Javascript.

This would also address a long-standing performance problem that the site has.

messages: 4081
nosy: paulproteus
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Adjust /search/ to do faceted browsing client-side