[OH-Dev] Why do you contribute to Free/Open Source projects?

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:40:23 UTC 2014

Hello all,

Open Source Comes to Campus has always had a brief section of our
curriculum where we talk about why you might want to contribute to FLOSS
projects.  I want to improve that section by providing students with real
quotes from real people who they can identify with.

To do that, I'm putting out a call:

In 200 words or less, please describe why you contribute to free/open
source projects.  Feel free to talk about multiple reasons, changes of
opinion or circumstance, hesitations you once or currently feel, and any
biographical details you think are relevant.

For instance, my contribution might say: *"I began contributing to the
community by participating in discussions about open government and open
science.  I think knowledge - especially knowledge about how our government
runs, and what we've learned about how the world works - belongs to
everyone and should be easy to access.  That's still important to me, but I
also find the things I learn through contributing and the friends I've made
in the community to be immensely valuable as well."*

You can send your contributions to hello at openhatch.org with "Why I
Contribute" in the subject line.  Please also include the name you would
like us to list your quote with.  If you have a personal or professional
website you would like us to link to, please include that as well.

Feel free to forward this email.

best,
Shauna