[OH-Dev] [issue1024] For the live website, use something like lesscpy to "compile" the less files

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Sat Aug 2 23:42:17 UTC 2014

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

Right now, we use a bunch of *.less files for styling.
(http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/internals/front_end_style_guide.html
discusses that ever so slightly.)

This may result in slow page loads for users, as a first time visitor's web
browser will have to download a large number of files before laying out the
page.

We have so far resisted the common fix for this, which is to "compile" less
files when Django's settings.DEBUG is False. One reason for that is we have
resisted having any non-Python dependencies.

https://github.com/lesscpy/lesscpy is a pure-Python less compiler, so we could
perhaps use that now!

messages: 4507
nosy: paulproteus
priority: wish
status: unread
title: For the live website, use something like lesscpy to "compile" the less files