[OH-Dev] Alternatives to our web forum

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Sun Apr 20 07:23:54 UTC 2014

Hi all,

The OpenHatch forum, at http://forum.openhatch.org/ , is used periodically
by people who want help with the OpenHatch training missions.

Here's how they get there:

* http://openhatch.org/missions/ =>
* http://openhatch.org/missions/tar =>
* https://openhatch.org/wiki/Mission_help =>
* http://forum.openhatch.org/discussion/5/mission-support/

You can see one current question here --
http://forum.openhatch.org/discussion/3985/mission-using-git-creating-a-patch

As I recall, I created the web forum because I felt that we needed a more
user-friendly place for site visitors to have conversations with our
community, and to thereby become part of our community. It has at least one
neat feature, which is login integration with the main OpenHatch site.

I have been thinking it would be nice if we could turn the forum off (we
could keep the existing URLs working, if we want, as a static HTML
archive). I'm the primary maintainer of the forum, and it's probably not
the most useful OpenHatchy thing I could be doing.

So I wanted to start this conversation, see what people think and/or
suggest, and then chime in after a day or two.

One plausible option is for us to migrate them to email lists. This is
increasingly plausible with the advent of hyperkitty, which is a new
mailman web view. Demo here: https://lists.stg.fedoraproject.org/archives/

Another is to encourage people to use http://www.reddit.com/r/openhatch

Or http://www.reddit.com/r/opensource

Or some other external community that I haven't thought of.

Or we could decide it's no big deal to just keep the forum running, and it
serves its purpose.

I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts. Newbies' opinions very welcome.