[OH-Dev] Open Hatch Prep for Saturday AM

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Oct 5 04:14:30 UTC 2013

Sri and Carol -- I had chatted with both of you about user testing, and I
wanted to write an email here with all the references I have so you can
hit the ground running.

Background reading:

* A few months ago's thoughts on how to do user testing:
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/devel/2013-August/003231.html

* http://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-101-introduction-to-usability/
if (like me) you're new to usability testing

Relevant stuff for tomorrow:

* You're going to have to explain all of (1) the purpose of the website
(2) the purpose of user testing (3) the nuts and bolts of how to do that
user testing, to the people who want to work with you. The "nuts and
bolts" is really just to ask people to make-believe they are a user trying
to acheive a task, and have them try to achieve that task, narrating out
loud as they go and recording where they click.

* It would be amazing if we can ask people to record their screens. On
Linux, one (hilariously long) recipe for doing so is at
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/greenhouse/2013-July/000008.html .
For Windows and Mac... not sure.

* I'll be adding specific tasks in the
http://systers.org/wiki/communities/doku.php?id=wiki:ghc:ghc13:osd:openhatch
page in the bullet list labeled "Use the OpenHatch website, and give us
feedback..." -- expect to see a lot more there by ~9am.

* Sri, also, I created a collection of OpenHatch bugs that just need
someone to look them over to make sure they are still bugs. I figure you
can also mentor people with that, if we split the user-testing load
between you and Carol. But I'll also let Carol and you decide if you want
split that up in a different fashion. See "Review some existing bugs..."
on the
http://systers.org/wiki/communities/doku.php?id=wiki:ghc:ghc13:osd:openhatch
doc.