[OH-Dev] Now that we have docs in readthedocs... let's have more

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Mar 15 23:25:56 UTC 2012

Dear Devel folks,

<Exciting>

We have all this documentation hosted by readthedocs.org. Meanwhile, we
also have all these documentation pages hosted within the openhatch.org
wiki.

Since readthedocs makes creating previous/next links, and subcategories,
here is my thoughts for one good way to recategorize the docs we do have:

Tutorial-style:
     Adding a field to the profile
     Making schema changes

Deployment:
     Login team
     Backups of the live site

Internals:
     Adding a dependency
     A tour of the templates
     Automated testing

New/general contributor process:
     Code style
     Getting started with the OH Code
     How we handle patches
     Chat with us on IRC
     Merging patches

Tips on effective development:
     Performance analysis
     The debug toolbar

Other non-wiki pages that should show up in the Sphinx docs:

     README.mkd
     docstrings (?)
     MAINTENANCE.mkd (related to deployment)

It would be super cool to merge these into the Sphinx docs.

Additionally, it'd be awesome to automatically test the "Adding a field to
the profile" doc. Perhaps we could add that testing to Jenkins. (Daniel
and Karen, I have a feeling you'd like that...)

</Exciting>

<Background>

We have docs now, hosted on readthedocs.org --
http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/. These are generated from the rst files
in docs/*. You can generate them locally, too -- see the
docs/generate_html.py file.

Readthedocs.org is automatically pinged by a "Github web hook", so as soon
as a push occurs, github sends a POST message to readthedocs.org; this
causes readthedocs.org to update.

</Background>

Cheerio!