[OH-Dev] [issue714] Redesign /search/ to integrate both bugs and projects

aldeka bugs at openhatch.org
Tue Mar 13 23:35:33 UTC 2012

New submission from aldeka <karen at openhatch.org>:

See (terrible webcam scan of) mockup.

Right now, we've killed /projects/, which means there's basically no way to
easily get to our project pages. (Which is kind of good, since they're broken
right now... that's a separate bug!)

To fix that, here's a redesign of the /search/ page to make it easy to find both
bugs and projects through the same interface.

Notes from the mockup:

On the left is the filtering UI. Searches become filters (which can be removed,
like other filters, by clicking the 'X'). Eventually (not part of this bug),
there will be a 'curated bugs' category chosen through the project page
interface and a curated-bugs-only filter will be on by default when the page
loads.

Below, filters for language (limited to 3 or so, with more link) and tags
(similarly expandable). "Bitesize" should be renamed to "easy" or "beginner".

Below that, you can choose to only show projects, only show (projects with)
bugs, or to show everything.

Below the filtering interface, a second left-column module states the number of
tracked projects, a link to add a project (create a project page), link to add a
bug tracker (to wiki docs), and 'About this feature' (which goes to the blog
post linked to by the current /search/ interface).

At the top of the right column, there's a little banner for first-time
contributors, with a link to a wiki page with some helpful advice. It can be
X'ed out and disappeared.

On the right column, you have modules for each project with their logo and
mentors (if any). The project logo and name link to the project page; the
mentors thing links to the mentors tab/area on their project page.

If a matching project has bugs that we know about and match the query, $MIN
number of bugs appear below it (probably 2, maybe as many as 3). There's a 'more
bugs' link that will expand downward and show more matching bugs; in the absence
of js, it links to some obscure part of the project page with a full listing of
all the project's scraped/known bugs. Hovering over the bug changes its
background color; clicking a bug expands it to include more information (as
now).

Projects can appear even without bugs or mentors, if our data on the project
(e.g. language) matches the query.

Ordering of bugs within a project: first curated bugs, then bugs with the most
recent activity.

Ordering of projects: favor projects that have curated bugs, projects with
answered Q&As, and projects with mentors. Otherwise by similarity of project
and/or its bugs to search query/filters.

files: search-page.jpg
messages: 3107
nosy: aldeka, paulproteus
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Redesign /search/ to integrate both bugs and projects

Roundup issue tracker <bugs at openhatch.org>
<https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue714>