[OH-Dev] New tools directory

Daniel Mizyrycki daniel at glidelink.net
Thu Jun 21 00:04:04 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

Here is part of the discussion we are having with Asheesh about the
advantage of a tools directory, and in particular a tool that will
automatically remove trailing whitespaces on commit.
>>> Yeah, honestly, I think that would be superb, so long as we can
>>> document it well!
>>>
>> Excellent point. The tool is a hack of what I found at
>> http://stackoverflow.com. It is good enough for me and I think  a good
>> start for this project. I uploaded it in
>> https://github.com/mzdaniel/oh-mainline/commit/f500f3ad43125778c2854d51f37dc7a92ffec7f3
>> . There is no harm in adding the tool as one need to create a symlink
>> into .git/hooks to be operational. The question now is where we want to
>> iterate.
> That is interesting. Let's have that be a separate thread.
>
> In general I'm excited about it, but I'm concerned about the copyright status
> with stuff just found on StackOverflow (maybe it's usable? I'm just not
> sure), and also it'd be great if we can document how to use those git
> hooks.
Such a shame. Here is a snippit of their contract:
You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network
is perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the
Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/> license. You grant
Stack Exchange the perpetual and irrevocable right and license to use,
copy, cache, publish, display, distribute, modify, create derivative
works and store such Subscriber Content and to allow others to do so in
any medium now known or hereinafter developed ("Content License") in
order to provide the Services, even if such Subscriber Content has been
contributed and subsequently removed by You.

The keywords here is that the contribution is licenced to StackOverflow.
In general, I wonder if the fact that the work was released as CC BY-SA
gives us any right at all. In particular, I will create a new tool using
python for this task. I just wanted to have something to start with, but
legal liability truly takes all the passion of opensource.