[OH-Dev] Documenting deployment with Heroku

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Wed Jun 20 20:29:50 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Daniel Mizyrycki's message of Wed Jun 20 13:41:28 -0400 2012:
> Hi Asheesh,
>

> > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Daniel Mizyrycki wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Asheesh,
> >> I am preparing in the next 2-3 days a pull request for the reviewed
> >> Heroku documentation we discussed here. Would you like me to include
> >> the patch you sent me as part of the pull request? /
> >
> > Oops, I was going to submit that.
> >
> > Let me first review https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/pull/39 ...
> >
> > This pull request is great. I would suggest reorganizing things a
> > little, so the things that are only relevant to the OpenHatch
> > deployment are in a separate section. I can submit a pull request for
> > that shortly, maybe 1-3 days. Merged your pull request.
> >
> Sure
>
> > Okay, now the Heroku Procfile fix pull request... submitted. Please
> > review!
> >
> > https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/pull/40
> >
> Done. I confirm this file is necessary for Heroku to correctly find our
> application. 'heroku scale web=1' does not work without it. Please do
> the pull. Also, we need to update our documentation to ask the user to
> run 'heroku scale web=1'
> I think you would like
> https://github.com/mzdaniel/oh-mainline/commit/cdb5b2ba7b33023203d48c5d15ca30d94ee07216
> . It contains the additions we'd been discussing so far.

I have a suspicion that if you have a Procfile when the deploy first
happens, you don't have to run the "heroku scale web=1" command. So
this is sort of a workaround for our initial brokenness.

For now, I'll just commit this doc change, but if you end up being
able to test this and find that the "scale" command isn't truly
necessary, then feel free to adjust the docs again.

Pushed: https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/commit/9ee7292f89a488c5b47c03dfd29b40f5846b46b3

(Different commit ID because I needed to grab just the one commit.)

> >> Also, thank you for cleaning up my previous docs. As I mentioned, I
> >> have a small git pre-commit script that removes trailing whitespaces.
> >> I include it in my git repos under tools directory and link it to
> >> .git/hooks/pre-commit. It might be worth to create such a directory,
> >> and to provide a tool like this.
> >
> > Yeah, honestly, I think that would be superb, so long as we can
> > document it well!
> >
> Excellent point. The tool is a hack of what I found at
> http://stackoverflow.com. It is good enough for me and I think  a good
> start for this project. I uploaded it in
> https://github.com/mzdaniel/oh-mainline/commit/f500f3ad43125778c2854d51f37dc7a92ffec7f3
> . There is no harm in adding the tool as one need to create a symlink
> into .git/hooks to be operational. The question now is where we want to
> iterate.

That is interesting. Let's have that be a separate thread.

In general I'm excited about it, but I'm concerned about the copyright status
with stuff just found on StackOverflow (maybe it's usable? I'm just not
sure), and also it'd be great if we can document how to use those git
hooks.